Below is a working draft to start discussion.
Town of Waukesha
The Administrator shall be subject to the limitations defined in resolutions and ordinances of the Town of Waukesha and Wisconsin State Statutes, shall be in charge of the administration of the Town, responsible directly to the board for the proper administration of the business affairs of the Town, pursuant to the statutes of the State of Wisconsin, the ordinances of the Town of Waukesha and the resolutions and directives of the Board, with powers and duties as follows:
- Carry out all directives of the Town Board which require administrative implementation, reporting promptly to the Town Board any difficulties encountered therein.
- Be responsible for the administration of all day-to-day operations of the Town government, including an awareness of enforcement of all Town ordinances, resolutions, Board meeting minutes and State statutes.
- Establish, when necessary, administrative procedures to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the Town government not inconsistent with Town Board directives.
- Serve as an ex officio nonvoting member of all boards, commissions and committees of the Town, except as specified by the Board or Wisconsin State Statutes.
- When appropriate, make recommendations to the Town Board to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Town government.
- Keep informed concerning current county, state and federal legislation and administrative rules affecting the Town and submit appropriate reports and recommendations to the Town Board.
- Keep informed concerning the availability of county, state and federal funds for local programs. Assist department heads and the Town Board in obtaining these funds under the direction of the Town Board.
- Represent the Town in matters involving legislation and intergovernmental affairs as authorized and directed.
- Establish and maintain procedures to facilitate the communication between citizens and Town government to assure that complaints, grievances, recommendations, and other matters receive prompt attention.
- Promote the economic well-being and growth of the Town through public and private sector cooperation.
- Oversee emergency management plans, procedures and functions of the Town.
- Administer the maintenance of all Town property, lands, buildings and equipment and the construction or improvements undertaken either directly or indirectly by the Town.
- Attend all meetings of the Town Board.
- In coordination with the Chairperson, cause to be prepared the agenda for all meetings of the Town Board, together with such supporting material as may be required, with nothing herein being so construed as to give the administrator authority to limit or in any way prevent matters from being considered by the Town Board.
- Assist in the preparation of ordinances and resolutions as requested by the Town Board members.
- Serve as personnel officer for the Town with responsibilities to see that complete and up-to-date personnel records, including specific job descriptions for all Town employees are kept, evaluating in conjunction with department heads the performance of all employees on a regular basis, recommended salary and wage scales for Town employees, develop and enforce high standards of performance by Town employees, assure the Town employees have proper working conditions.
- Coordinate periodic departmental and staff meetings.
- Develop and update the organizational structure of the Town inclusive of its chain authority and responsibilities as approved by Town Board
- Ensure all employees understand what is expected of them by providing effective communications with verbal and written guidelines
- Conduct hiring, promotions and terminations with Town Board approval, unless specifically assigned to the Fire Commission.
- Work closely with the department heads to promptly resolve personnel problems and grievances, unless specifically assigned to the Fire Commission.
- Assure that employees receive adequate opportunities for training to maintain and improve their job-related knowledge and skills and act as the approving authority for requests by employees to attend conferences, meetings, training schools, etc., provided that funds have been budgeted for these activities.
- Develop and maintain updated job descriptions for all employees
- Direct Town personnel as required to maintain safe public operations, inclusive of periodic safety training. Insure all safety work standards are complied with.
- Propose and justify requests for new equipment and/or personnel.
- Responsible for the preparation and compilation of the annual Town Budget, and work papers for the Town Board. Schedule public meetings with Town Board to work on annual budget prior to Town meeting.
- Administer the budget as adopted by the Town Board.
- Keep the Town Board regularly informed about the activities of the Administrator’s office by oral or written reports at regular meetings of the Town Board, including the current fiscal position of the Town and the status of expenditures relative to the Town budget.
- Supervise the accounting system of the Town and ensure that the system employs methods in accordance with current professional accounting practices.
- Serve as the purchasing agent for the Village supervising all purchasing and contracting of supplies and services, subject to the purchasing procedures established by the board and any limitation contained in the Wisconsin State Statutes.
- Perform such other and further duties as maybe directed from the Town Board from time to time.